Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Why I love post-season baseball

Last night's game five of the NLCS is a perfect example of why I love post-season baseball. Anything can happen. Suspense. Drama. Action. It's really the best reality TV going and always has been.

Well, the reality around our house was that the kids were seeing their mother and father disagree. Jill was born in Houston. I, on the other hand, grew up listening to Jack Buck and going to St. Louis as family vacation and seeing the mid-70s Cardinals lose. I never visited Sportsman's Park but my family went before I was born. We have footage of a game on home movies from that park. I wore a T-shirt that sported Lou Brock's number, 20. My brother, Toby, sported number nine . . . of what St. Louis great who is now one of the most famous managers of this era? That's a question for you.

Meanwhile, Jill grew up in the shadow of the Eighth Wonder of the World and wore Nolan Ryan's number with the cool stripes and was just as deflated in 1980 when the Phillies took the championship away as she was last night when Albert Pujols hit a homer in the top of the ninth to go ahead 5 - 4.

We were sitting on opposite ends of the couch. We couldn't believe the jam Brad Lidge was in after striking two out, but I knew Eckstein would not go down without a fight and marveled at Jim Edmonds standing there, the day after he was tossed out for disputing a call, and take a walk. Then Pujols comes up, one of the best batters in baseball, against one of the best closers in baseball. Hanging slider and it was out. I stood up, fell over on the floor. Unbelievable.

After the game I said, "This makes me sick for Houston."

"You make me sick, falling on the floor," Jill said.

The air in the living room was unbreathable. We both had to get out and headed separate ways. Cardinals are the only team I've stuck with since I was a kid. Any sport. Jill was disappointed for her city, which was set up to become the first Texas city to ever host a World Series. Maybe they still will.

Either way, I can be happy and cheer them on. I don't want St. Louis to represent the NL the way they did last. I really do want the Astros to win . . . and I had fallen on the floor after Pujols's homer not from elation but from tragi-comic conflict within me.

I love this game.

4 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Glenn said...

As you were falling, and was I leaping from my depressed state in the corner of the sofa.

#20 was my little league jersey number -- I thought it would make me run faster. I was wrong.

(Wasn't #9 retired for Enos Slaughter?)

Go Cards!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Mark Elrod said...

The only pleasure a Cub fan gets out of watching this is the knowledge that every night either Houston or St. Louis is going to lose a baseball came.

My bad Cubs mojo is up for auction for the remainder of the playoffs and I can deliver by lukewarm support for any team you want jinxed for eternity. Just let me know.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Kyler said...

That was a great ending to a crazy game. I love it when that happens. The Cards have always been my team ever since I can remember. I sure hope they go all the way. It's going to be tuff. I was in town this weekend I guess I just missed you at church. I'll try to give you a call this week and see how you are doing. I've been praying for you and the church and for your fam. Hope all is well.

Ky

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger David U said...

Wasn't #9 Joe Torre?

Our Cards will be back next year!

DU

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home