Monday, October 17, 2005

The Digging-est Dog

I love the story of The Digging-est Dog. It's the children's storybook tale of a young boy who saves Duke from the "hard stone floor" of the pet store and frees him in the country, where he tries and fails to dig and in the process gets rejected by the neighbor dogs. When he finally learns how to dig, he digs up everything, the roads, the gates, even the garden of Mrs. Thwaites.

When the boy, Sammy Brown, finally catches up to him, Sammy does what he knew was the only thing he could do. Interestingly, the story is told from the dog's point of view, so here's how he narrates this turning point in the story: "I couldn't run. I couldn't hide. Dogs came at me from every side. And then suddenly I knew there was just one thing for me to do. I ran away from Sammy Brown. I dug a hole that went straight down."

Duke hit water and started to drown, then with discussion among the dogs and Sammy Brown at the top about whether they should save him or not, they all pitched in and made a human/dog chain to help him out of the hole that he'd dug.

He was glad to be saved from that hole, but he didn't just thank them. He knew what he had to do. He dug back the roads, the gates, and even the garden of Mrs. Thwaites.

It's a great story of grace and responsibility for all ages. Get it and read it to your children . . . or your adult friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home