Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Daniel's Diet Plan

I met Daniel Mwasa November 1994 in a crowd of young men fishing in Lake Victoria.

Daniel stood tall above the rest. If I were a college basketball recruiter, I’d have signed the twenty-five-year-old because of his physical stature. I later learned Daniel couldn’t hit the side of the Boston Garden with a basketball. What impressed me, however, was Daniel’s stature of heart. His questions outweighed his answers to life, and he was searching for something eternal.

Daniel began attending Bible studies in his village, Musima, and about a year later he committed his life to Christ. And Christ has changed Daniel’s life dramatically. “I used to visit bars at night,” Daniel said. Since becoming a Christian, Daniel stays with his family at night. Now, he often travels into town to buy his wife a new dress or a new shirt for one of his children.

He and his wife, Nabirye, walk more than two miles to every church meeting, and Daniel always comes prepared to teach in the church from the Bible.

I like Daniel’s simple and straight-forward life: he lives in a two room hut with his wife and three children (one is named Jill, after my wife). “Many people want the city life,” Daniel said. “Not me. I want to live here in the village with my family and be a farmer.”

Daniel puts his energy into caring for his family, growing a great garden, selling the produce, and telling others about Jesus. His favorite topic to speak about in the church is from Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount--we are a light, a city set on a hill to shine in darkness.

One day Daniel offered me some advice about how to lose weight: “Stop eating so much,” he said. I glared at him. He smiled and shrugged then laughed the classic jolly green giant style laugh: “Huh, huh, huh.” We have always ribbed each other and enjoy it going both directions.

When I think of Daniel, I remember why I went to Uganda.

12 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Blogger Fajita said...

Daniel sounds like the kind of guy who would have a highly linked blog.

He also sounds like the kind of guy who would do 40 days of fat. Oh yeah, it's on and jamming. Over $400 raised ofr World Vision so far.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Kevin Hammond said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Kevin Hammond said...

Great memories. Interesting, isn't it, that we go on missions, and come back feeling more "taught" than "teacher."

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Clint said...

Daniel was the last church member I saw before leaving Jinja a few months ago. Therefore the last thing I heard was his deep laugh, "Huh, huh, huh." It was great!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger David U said...

I met many "Daniel" type people in Nigeria and Liberia....but I would love to meet your Daniel too. It's all about people, isn't it? I fell in love with the people of West Africa, as you did the people of Uganda.......but at their core, people are the same everywhere. Right? It makes sense, they all have the same Father.

Thanks for the wonderful story, and maybe I will meet Daniel some day on this side.......if not, we will meet on the other side for sure.

Love you bro,
DU

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Anne-Geri' said...

Please introduce me to Daniel when we meet on the other side of the river.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Joe Muka said...

Just found your blog. Great job on it. My site about free teenager weight loss program and other free diet info may have a blog soon.
thanks for the ideas

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Joe Muka said...

Just found your blog. Great job on it. My site about free teenager weight loss program and other free diet info may have a blog soon.
thanks for the ideas

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger mike said...

Found your blog interesting. Feel free to check out my site Weight Loss

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hello fellow fisherman,

Did you know that 16% of the U.S. population goes fishing at least 16 days a year?

Did you also know that over 75% of the nations fishermen do not fish during "prime time"; fish feeding hours?

Those precious few moments before twilight can be absolutely magical. Even up until 11pm at night, the largest predators of any species feed ravenously.

Don't believe me? Check out Daniel Eggertsen's story, and a picture of a couple of his catches here : "Evening Secrets plus more"

I want you to do me a favor and try it out so I can see what you think of it, and if it works for you as well as it did for me.

You will be one of the first to try it out.

Gone Fishin',

Neil

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Legal said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Robert Parr said...

Hello, just viewed your site. I think it is really nice and interesting. If you're interested you can view my weight loss plans. Its a tweight loss plans site. Have a good day!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home