Thursday, October 21, 2004

5th - 6th graders silent?

In my class of thirty 5th and 6th graders--we call it JAM 56--we had five minutes of quiet reflection. Do you know how hard that is for that age on a Wednesday night. Actually, it's more effective than trying it with adults--might put them to sleep after work day on Wednesday.

Here's the straw poll on this group. About ten percent have some kind of structured quiet time in their homes. About the same percentage say their parents pray with them. We've been talking about developing their prayer life with God, praying the Lord's Prayer, talking about our true Father who we can address in our prayers, who Jesus invites us to call "Abba," as in a Dear Father to us. Jesus' Father is our Father.

We've also been learning how to turn Scriptures into prayers. We prayed last night during our meditation to "Open our eyes to see the wonderful things in your teachings" (Psalm 118:19).

During the quiet time, I was tempted to dash out and check the score of the tied Cardinals game. I did not pray for them because I'm not sure God would care the outcome, but they won and tied the series anyway. After church I told a friend--after talking five minutes with him--that I needed to go and check on a couple of championship games, and he jokingly said, "I'm glad my life is not ruled by such addictions." I said, "Me too. We can't all have the same addictions, brother, or we wouldn't be a body." Then I left to watch the most incredible baseball game outcome that I've experienced in my lifetime as the Boston Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit with the Evil Empire and won the series 4-3! Never been done in baseball history. Jill thinks Johnny Damon is cute. She also wants the Astros to win tonight, and I'm of course a Cards fan, but if the Astros do win, I'll be happy to see these two hungry teams, since the Astros have never been in history to the World Series.

1 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger David U said...

Greg, if we can JUST get past the Rocket, we can do it!
We are due to hit him......we haven't all year. It's our time, our night. I am SO happy about the Red Sox! UNBELIEVABLE!!! The Yanks have won enough to last till the Heavens open up and we all go home. Right?
I hope it doesn't take another Edmonds walk-off home run, but I sure hope the Cards come thru. It is only fitting that the team with the best record in baseball this year would make it to the World Series. I think the Cards and Red Sox played each other in the 67 series. Of course you are too young to remember that! :)

Thanks for encouraging our young people to have quiet time, and to pray. I don't do EITHER of those enough, and one of the reasons may be that I didn't get that nudge to do so when I was younger. It's not my Sunday school teacher fault that I don't, but it would have helped. Seems like I remember a LOT of lessons on dancing, mixed "bathing", smoking, and drugs.
Any guess as to what that made me want to do? :)

Thanks again for mentoring our young people!

GO CARDS!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home